Friday, March 18, 2011

learning from the good and bad

One thing that I am so thankful for in our new marriage is how many couples we find ourselves spending time with. Couple who have been together even less time than we have and couples that have been married for years.

Honestly, there is abundance of love around us.

I feel like Robert and I do a good job of seeing other couples and picking out the qualities we see in them that we would like to possess. We see couples who speak to each other respectfully, couples who love deeply even in everyday moments, couples who laugh together like children. We've seen so many beautiful marriages and relationships, and we always walk away saying, "man, I want our marriage to still look like that 10 years down the road."

We also see couples in turmoil and pain. Kids that probably weren't ready to handle the commitment of marriage and jumped the gun. Two people that live together and share their lives but are constantly on edge and agitated. That is the saddest thing to me, and we always walk away talking about how to avoid hating each other 10 years from now.

In every life, there is good and there is bad.
I am thankful to have a husband who is so unimaginably good at seeing the good in life. He is a joyful person. And he is teaching me to be the same. I am thankful when I am reminded that we are at peace with each other. We are not in turmoil or pain in each others' presence. We are at peace and in love. And even though it tears into my heart to see two people who are committed but dreadfully unhappy, I am thankful to have so many examples around us that we can learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment