Monday, October 31, 2011

Letting Jesus Be the Protector

[if you missed it, part 1 is here]

I'm sure you're not surprised to learn that I don't have the following verses memorized after Proverbs 4.23. I know you have it memorized but just for safety's sake:

{Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.} Proverbs 4.24-27

I can't physically touch my heart (not even one that belongs to someone else, because we're talking about a spirit thing here, not a literal one). I can't build an actual wall around it. I can't tangibly shield it from harm. Sometimes it feels like I can't do anything to protect it.
How do I guard my heart?


By speaking words of life and positivity.
If I speak harsh, critical words or spout out a string of curse words constantly (which I do around Rob because sometimes it feels good to vent frustration that way, be honest), even if no one is around, I am leaving my heart wide open for attack.  I am inviting more negative, detrimental thoughts to invade my mind.  By keeping my lips, tongue and mouth clean and pure, I am guarding my heart.

How do I guard my heart?

By keeping my eyes fixed on the most important thing: Jesus.
If my eyes are fixed on Him, there isn't even a split second that the devil can attack my heart or wear me down. If my gaze is directly before me (because He is a lamp unto my feet, one that only shows the very next steps), He will protect my heart. When my eyes drift from him to the world and take in materialism, greed and depravity, my heart is tossed and turned by every small wave. When my gaze is set on my Creator and Protector, I remember that nothing can break through His defense.

How do I guard my heart?

By staying on a straight, firm path.
When I let my mind wander and settle on negative thoughts, I am leaving the clear, safe path and entering a place that is dark, muddy and frightening. Jesus is the lamp and the path, and He is all I need. When I pull away from Him, my heart will inevitably suffer the greatest damage. If I am counting on my own power to save my heart, it will be lost forever.

The heart and the mind are connected, so please don't fool yourself into thinking you can do enough good deeds to cancel out all of those destructive thoughts you are letting yourself dwell on.

I'll leave it with another popular and powerful verse that reminds me that when it comes to guarding our hearts, there is nothing we can do.

God is the protector, and all we need to do is trust Him. He created it. He knows the best way to protect it.

{Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.} Philippians 4.6-7

2 comments:

  1. So true. It's really hard to stay focused on God and thinking those right thoughts. I find when I let myself vent, I feel better for a little bit, but because I just reinforced those negative feelings and thoughts, I end up feeling worse in the long run. Thanks for sharing this verse with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo this is another way God is really stressing Philippians 4 to me right now. Amazing. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete