Thursday, January 27, 2011

My friend Heather posted a really awesome blog today about When Life Gets in the Way.

It pretty much describes what Robert and I are going through and how I want to handle it.
I'm very excited that getting married means we actually see each other and spend some time together every day. However, since he works throughout the day and I work a lot at night, we really haven't spent as much quality time together as I think either of us would like. And then when we are home together it's usually him playing video games and me on the internet (our biggest vices, I would say).
Heather laid out a simple challenge to spend actual, real, true quality time with the person you love. To focus all of your attention on them:


"So for this week I have a challenge for you: instead of looking through what is front of you, look directly at it. Look him, or her in the eyes. Remember why it is you picked them. Listen intently to what they say. Laugh with them. Pray with them. Worship with them. Work with them. Spend time cultivating that relationship as if it was your first 6 months of dating. Why? Because at the end of the day, I want you to succeed. I want you to grow in Christ and as people. I want you to experience the fullness that God intended through agape love relationships."

So true. We're only one short month into our marriage, and I don't want to look back and say we spent any number of months playing video games or hiding behind a computer or avoiding time with each other (even if it's not on purpose). I want to remember the dates we went on together, the quality time we shared, the conversations and all the times he tickled me until I thought I was going to break (which literally happens at least once a week :)). Our marriage is wonderful so far. More than I could have ever asked or imagined, and I want to keep it that way. So to Heather, I accept your challenge.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment